Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Study: Acupuncture May Change the Way the Brain Perceives Pain

Study: Acupuncture May Change the Way the Brain Perceives Pain

How does your body answer to acupuncture? I had several experiences with acupuncture and for the most part, I am a believer in eastern medicine. The first time I visited an acupuncturist, I went in to have the Dr. checked out my jammed toe and my knee. My toe I jammed while attempting a backflip in high school roughly 7 years ago from that time. I had limited movement and I experienced limited sensation. My knee was also from an injury sustained from a soccer game when I was a high school senior.

The experience was definitely one for the books. I walked in and realized the acupuncturist spoke of no English and I spoke of extremely limited Mandarin. Somehow through motion and my Academy Award worthy expression of "Ow!", he comprehend what the issue was. He began working the lights and the needed. The initial poke was nothing spectacular. I have had needles pricked at me before. It was when he reached my nerves did I know he was on to something. It is a feeling you never had before, an area in your body where you have never felt anything prior. Soon there were roughly 20+ needles in the surrounding areas of my left knee and my toe.

About 3-4 sessions later across a month, my toe completely healed. I have my full range and sensation back. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I was sold. However, my knee was not so lucky. I concluded that your mileage may vary with acupuncture. However, if you have pain areas and did not have any success with traditional medicine, I would give acupuncture a shot.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional. This is solely recommendation and not be considered as medical advice. Please check with your primary physician prior to trying eastern medicine including acupuncture.

No comments:

Post a Comment